Health Officer: David Jetmore, M.D.
Wayne County Health Department's goal is to help our local community with friendly expertise in both Environmental and Public Health Services. Our mission is to improve the quality of life by promoting, protecting, preparing and providing for the health and safety of the citizens of Wayne County. We are dedicated to educating citizens on important health issues, protecting them from environmental health risks and preventing the spread of disease using science as well as good public health policies.
Indiana Code IC 16-20 outlines powers and duties of Indiana Local Health Departments http://www.in.gov/isdh/24832.htm.
Our Health Department follows the framework for the responsibilities of local public health systems set forth by the National Public Health Performance Standard Program using these 10 essential services:
- Assure a competent public health and personal health-care workforce
- Develop policies and plans that support individual and community health efforts
- Diagnose and investigate health problems and health hazards in the community
- Enforce laws and regulations that protect health and ensure safety
- Evaluate effectiveness, accessibility, and quality of personal and population-based health services
- Inform, educate, and empower people about health issues
- Link people to needed personal health services and assure the provision of health care when otherwise unavailable
- Mobilize community partnerships to identify and solve health problems
- Monitor health status to identify community health problems
- Research for new insights and innovative solutions to health problems
Be sure to visit our Facebook page for the latest information.